Chelsea and Nike have dived into 1990s shirt culture to produce a 2019/20 third kit reminiscent of a celebrated era for the club.
Although clean and modern in shape and athletic performance, the predominantly black kit features flashes of bright orange, similar to the away shirt worn between 1994 and 1996, sported by the great Ruud Gullit, who arrived to light up Stamford Bridge during this period.
As well as the nostalgic use of orange, the jersey boasts numerous other nods to ‘90s football, with a jacquard knit rising from the fabric of the shirt, an old-school style collar and a retro Nike ‘Futura’ logo.
The shirt also features an embossed ‘CFC’ pattern running in diagonal lines across the shirt. The font, borrowed from our ‘90s matchday programmes, adds another layer to the nostalgia.
A squared-off collar tops up the retro aesthetic, while ‘Chelsea FC’ is printed across the neckline, above the Nike logo and a club crest, which stands out thanks to an elevated trim.
The shorts are black, while bright orange socks complete the look and also feature a Nike logo midway up the shin.
- West Ham United 2021-22 Umbro Home, Away, Third Football Kits
- Leeds United 2021-22 adidas Home, Away, Third Football Kits
- SS Lazio 2021-22 Macron Home, Away, Third Football Kits
- Crystal Palace 2021-22 Puma Home, Away And Third Football Kits
- Inter Milan 2021-22 Nike Home, Away And Third Footbal Kits